Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Day 2: Blog Mistakes made already

Hello world,
First I told you a little about me, now let me tell you about the mistakes I have already made trying to enter the blogosphere. When I decide I want to do something, I usually just jump right in. I am the type that does not start by reading the directions until I have attempted the project on my own and ran into a snag. Well that is exactly how I approached blogging.

I called up a friend, we talked for 15 minutes and I decided I was ready to start blogging! I went to a hosting site, created a domain name, signed up for all the bells and whistles, regardless of the fact I had no idea why I would need them. Then I went to my new website and realized I did not know exactly what to do next. So naturally I called my friend back but she was not home. I had just spent nearly $200 for a Blog domain, webhosting for a year, and I had no idea how to even set up the site. I knew what I wanted it to look like, but I did not comprehend a tag from a category.

The worst part was yet to come. I kept having trouble finding my website by typing in the url. If I clicked on it from an email sent from the webhosting company there was not a problem. Lo and behold I found out I MIS-SPELLED my brand new website address. So what I intended the domain name to be was actually a really bad misspelling of 4 little words.

Well as you can remember from my previous post, I did not start on my blogging adventure until after a long day at work, dinner was cooked, the baby went to sleep and most everyone else had gone to bed but myself. I should have expected my eyesight to be less than 20/20 at 1am.

To make a long story short, after calling myself a big idiot and admitting my error to my friend, my husband and the web hosting company , I decided I needed to start over from scratch.

Thats how I ended up here. First, it was free to set up a blog, and it was super easy to create my page. All I had to do was create a title and start typing my first post. My next step is to find a better time slot for releasing my creativity other than 1am. How do you find time to do your extra-curricular activities when you have a full-time job and a family to take care of? If you have suggestions I would love to hear it!

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, so that's what happened! At least you got your money back, and you can always move to your own domain/host later if you want. I still recommend having your own stuff, but you can do it when/if you're ready.

    Talk to you soon! And keep writing! It's great that you're doing what you set out to do.

    Theda K.

    ReplyDelete