Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 3 in the Blogosphere

Today I felt so proud of myself for creating a blog I suggested to my mom and my husband that they start a blog. I really think Blogger is great for first time bloggers because it requires no monetary investment but gives you a wealth of learning opportunity. Earlier today I attempted to improve the layout of my blog page by adding on gadgets. I was shocked to see how many different gadgets there are to add to the web page. The choices range from calendars and clock to pictures of cats and dogs. You can add the weather update, the stock update or just the news update. In essence, there were so many choices I could not decide. I decided to investigate further by comparing different blogs. I don't want to overcrowd my page or add things that don't make sense with my theme.

I also want to monetize the blog by adding google advertisements. I am still having trouble getting AdSense to work, but I will not give up the effort on that. I have heard stories of bloggers making thousands of dollars via blogging profits, but my friend who has been doing it for 2 years brings in only modest amounts in the hundreds. Regardless, in this economy any additional income is great.

As I told my husband, once I get things rolling I have to advertise my site. For me, that means publicizing the fact that I have a blog to family and friends via facebook or email. I think the big question any newbie blogger has is "Will anyone want to read my Blog?" Furthermore, if I get someone to read it once, will they be interested enough to subscribe or read it every day? These are questions you may ponder but you will never know the answer until you give it a try! Its almost like writing a book. Hopefully someone will find what you have to say quite interesting.

The other great tool in the blogosphere is the ability to get real time feedback via the comment section. I highly encourage people to respond with comments so you know what your readers are thinking. If I have convinced you to start a blog or you had already considered it, let me know. Tell me your story. How did you get started?

No comments:

Post a Comment